Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What a great book!!!

Hurray!!! I finally completed reading El Amor en los Tiempos del Colera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Love in the Time of Cholera). Reading this novel in my native Spanish was a great experience, however, so many obstacles were thrown in my path to always prevent my sitting down with the book for more than ten minutes at a time. Work, children, dogs, and others managed to interrupt my reading sessions.

Then, on the beach in Aruba, peace and quiet at last. The richness of the language, the tempo and perfect choice of words transported me to another time and place during my childhood. I was transported to the setting of this amazing book, as well as to the setting of growing up in a Spanish speaking country. It has been at least 20 years since I read a novel for pure enjoyment in my native Spanish and it truly was an indescribable experience.

Vocabulary:

1. native (adjective) - first language learned growing up
2. obstacles (noun) - difficulties or items that stop you from doing something
3. interrupt (verb) - stop an activity without notice
4. sessions (noun) - periods of time set aside for an activity
5. tempo (noun) - pace and speed
6. transported (verb) - taken to another place physically or mentally
7. indescribable (adjective) - unable to describe with words

Practice:
Please write a comment about a similar experience you have had in which you felt truly moved by the words in a book or by the story itself in a book you have recently read?

Grammar point:
Adjectives are words used to describe or modify another person or thing in a sentence. Can you find any other adjectives used in this blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment