Sunday, March 7, 2010

~ Finally, what a beautiful day! ~

I was out enjoying the sunshine today. The temperature reached well into the 50's, and I could shed the heavy winter jacket. My daughter and I decided to do what women and girls do on a nice sunny day - we went shopping! However, when we go shopping on a nice day, it is only to buy things we actually need. Otherwise, we only allow ourselves to go window shopping. (Perhaps a few unneeded, luxury items are acceptable).

Upon returning to my house, I found my two dogs enjoying the nice weather in their own special way. In other words, they were sleeping. Sleeping, yes, but seemingly dreaming of a far off land, where dogs ran free and ate whenever they wished to eat. Yet, because of that occasional howl of a wolf that they could discern in the distance in that land, my dogs never let their dreams transport themselves too fully there. Lying in the sunshine on a human couch was wild enough for them.

Vocabulary:
1. luxury (adjective) - non-essential, not necessary
2. items (noun) - things
3. acceptable (adjective) - having approval
4. discern (verb) - become aware of
5. transport (verb) - carry to another place
6. occasional (adjective) - every so often

Practice:
1. The high priced store sold mainly ___________ goods.
2. Please remove those _________ that are made of metal.
3. None of the budget cuts were __________ to our department.
4. If you listen closely, you can __________ a faint voice.
5. The fantasy writing allowed the book to __________ me to a far away place.
6. Even bad people do an ___________ good deed.

Have fun practicing!!!

Grammar Point:
In this paragraph, my writing style includes sentences that demonstrate "cause and effect". For example, a beautiful day (cause) led my daughter and I to go shopping (effect). Another example, the nice weather (cause) led my dogs to take a dreamy nap (effect). "Cause and effect" help the reader to understand the reasons for an action to develop in the story.

1 comment:

  1. I love the part about the dogs. I wrote a children's book on my cat's dreams.

    Think of a grammar point from your paragraph and an activity to go with it.

    ReplyDelete