Monday, March 8, 2010

What do you think about travel?

Traveling to other states and to other countries is rewarding in many ways. First of all, if I am traveling away from home, it means that I am on vacation. So, I am relieved of the daily routines that we fall into, which sometimes become tedious. It also means that I am spending time, hopefully quality time, with my family and perhaps close friends. Relieved of my daily routines, I can be more relaxed and therefore more myself.

Traveling also provides a fabulous look at the manner in which people from other cultures live their lives. When I have visited El Salvador, I have seen many more people living without the luxuries we in the United States are accustomed to. However, the people's character and interactions with others are admirable, just their daily routines are harder. In other parts of the United States, the people may own similar things like me, but perhaps their values differ from the typical New Yorker. I would say, for example, that the typical Californian is more sensitive to the environment than we are, although going green is certainly spreading everywhere. Seeing the world from the perspective of others far away gives great insight into our own lives.

Vocabulary:
1. tedious (adjective) - repetitive and boring
2. quality (adjective) - of good substance
3. relieved (verb) - free of
4. fabulous (adjective) - especially good
5. typical (adjective) - most common
6. perspective (noun) - point of view

Practice:
1. Doing the same math questions everyday became ___________.
2. The pieces fit perfectly together, so it was clear the carpenter had done _____ work.
3. Since I had studied all the class notes, I was ________ of my worries about the test.
4. The famous chef made a ________ dessert.
5. It is a ______ day when my dog does nothing but eat and sleep.
6. The astronauts had an amazing ___________ of the clouds over the earth.

Grammar Point:
When you write, it is a good idea to add "details". Details make your writing more interesting. You can add details to tell what, when, where, and how.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting perspective on traveling!

    I like the vocabulary words and cloze exercise.
    What grammar point could you pick from your paragraph to discuss? Perhaps transition words (first of all, also)or cause -effect markers (so/therefore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy, I like your entry about travel. So true about getting a break from routine things. I love, love, love traveling--the less luxury, the better. My idea of a great trip is staying with people who actually live in the country I'm visiting, and doing whatever it is they do. I used to travel all the time, at the drop of a hat, but these days--with my 4-year-old and 1-year-old at home--travel seems to have gone off the menu for a while. I look forward to going to new places with them when they get older.

    ReplyDelete