Monday, April 26, 2010

Hair Blog

My hair was curly, full and long. Until, of course, I chopped it all off one day. I had worn my hair long for years, only occasionally getting a trim or slightly different styling. However, the years of brushing it out, untangling a bad hair day's hair, had built up to a point of which I was only vaguely aware. That point was the tipping point, the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Clouds of that insidious dust, tree pollen, mingled into my seemingly luxurious strands, added to the tipping point. So on one otherwise lazy Saturday, I went to an appointment with my regular hair stylist. I had only one direction for her, which was to "make it short." A few inches off and it seemed short, scary short, but the stylist kept cutting. Sometimes I would look away, waiting for the finished product, but then a sideways glance in the mirror would show the drastic progress. After a long period where I believe I took no breaths, my time in the chair was finished. I shook my head, the hair flowed side to side, but much less than before. It was a new look, a new me. Best of all, it was so much easier to care for, so much less time needed to prepare my hair for any event. Yes, I now had so much more time to do my make-up and try to have my face look good!

Vocabulary:

1. chopped (verb) - sudden cutting

2. untangling (verb) - taking out knots

3. aware (adjective) - knowledgable of

4. insidious (adjective) -wickedly pervasive

5. sideways (adjective) - furtive

6. progress (noun) - movement toward a result

Practice:

1. The chef _______ the vegetables into tiny pieces.

2. The sailor demonstrated the art of ___________ complicated knots.

3. As she awoke she was only dimly ______ of her suroundings.

4. The racist thinking spread ___________ ideas on the campus.

5. The racers cast ________ glances at their nearest competitors.

6. Trying to reach the trapped miners was slow but rewarding _______.

Grammar point:

Transitional words or phrases show the direction of our thoughts from one sentence to the next. Some transition words/phrases in this blog are: however, sometimes, after a long period, best of all.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog on your hair cut! I like your vocabulary words and exercise too.

    ReplyDelete